- involve colleagues with a diverse mix of skills, experience, genders and ethnicities - this will help you consider a wide range of needs
- consult senior stakeholders and decision makers as early as possible
- seek out specialist expertise when appropriate, for example legal, policy, security or accessibility
- review past procurements with the staff involved
- include people expected to use the product or service that you are procuring
- ensure that one individual is not responsible for high-value projects
The size of the team should be in proportion to the scale and budget of what you are planning to procure. The team may also need to change throughout the process as you move from defining requirements through to evaluation and contract management.